On Monday, November 8, 2021 at a Business Session at 6:00pm, Newberg City Council plans to discuss passing a resolution that will provide former City Manager Dan Weinheimer with a separation agreement that will provide him with over $235,500 as a severance package as well as continue covering costs for the continuance of his health insurance, life insurance, short term disability insurance and long term disability insurance for a duration of twelve months.
As previously reported, Dan Weinheimer suddenly resigned with only a vague explanation two weeks ago.
The resolution can be read at the following link, by clicking here.
The language of the planned resolution is as follows,
CITY OF NEWBERG: RESOLUTION NO. 2021-3772 PAGE 1
REQUEST FOR COUNCIL ACTIONDATE ACTION REQUESTED: November 8, 2021
Order Ordinance Resolution __ Motion Information ___
No. No. No. 2021-3772
SUBJECT: Separation Agreement with Former
City Manager Dan Weinheimer
Staff: James Walker
Department: City Attorney
Business Session Order on Agenda
RECOMMENDATION: Approve Resolution 2021-3772
City Manager Dan Weinheimer submitted his resignation on October 21, 2021 and his last day as City Manager was October 29, 2021. A Separation Agreement related to Mr. Weinheimer’s departure is being presented to the Council for approval.
2020 Council Goals:
1. Change operational culture to one focused on Customer Service and act to Resolve Ongoing Legal Disputes
2. Further develop an operational culture that adopts and cherishes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as core
3. Promote development of housing affordability such as houselessness, transitional housing, workforce housing.
4. Create and support an Urban Renewal Plan and Authority.
5. Collaborate with local partners and with entities like ICLEI in the development of a Sustainability program.
CITY OF NEWBERG: RESOLUTION NO. 2021-3772 PAGE 2
RESOLUTION NO. 2021-3772
A RESOLUTION APPROVING A SEPARATION AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CITY AND DAN WEINHEIMER
1. Whereas, former City Manager, Dan Weinheimer, submitted a letter of resignation on October 21, 2021 and his last day as City Manager was on October 29, 2021.
2. Whereas, during a Special Meeting of the Newberg City Council on October 25, 2021, the Council accepted Mr. Weinheimer’s resignation and appointed Will Worthy as City Manager pro tem, effective October 30, 2021.
3. Whereas, the City and Mr. Weinheimer desire to document the terms of his departure from the City Manager position through a Separation Agreement.
THE CITY OF NEWBERG RESOLVES AS FOLLOWS:
1. The Council hereby ratifies its acceptance of Dan Weinheimer’s resignation from the position of City Manager for the City of Newberg, effective October 29, 2021.
2. The Council approves the Separation Agreement between the City of Newberg and Dan Weinheimer under which, the City will pay a severance payment to Mr. Weinheimer pursuant to his employment contract that consists of (a) twelve months salary totaling $164,000.00, (b) an amount equal to $7,500, (c) compensation for all sick leave, vacation leave, and paid holidays in the amount of $60,112.35, and (d) costs for the continuance of health insurance, life insurance, short term disability
insurance and long term disability insurance for a duration of twelve months.
3. Furthermore, the Separation Agreement provides for employer protections including a release by Dan Weinheimer of any and all known and unknown claims against the City.
4. The City Attorney is instructed and authorized to amend and approve the terms and conditions, if necessary, in substantial compliance with this Resolution.
5. Mayor Rick Rogers is authorized to sign the final Separation Agreement on behalf of the City, subject to approval as to form and content by the City Attorney.
CITY OF NEWBERG: RESOLUTION NO. 2021-3772 PAGE 3
Ø EFFECTIVE DATE of this resolution is the day after the adoption date, which is: November 9, 2021
ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Newberg, Oregon, this 8th day of November, 2021.
Sue Ryan, City Recorder
ATTEST by the Mayor this day of November, 2021.
Rick Rogers, Mayor